Recipe provided by Nash’s Organic Produce.
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter or 3 oz. extra virgin olive oil
- 4-5 medium parsnips, 1/2 inch dice
- 1 large leek, 1/4 inch dice
- 4 cups vegetable stock (enough to cover)
- 1-2 apples, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or whole milk
- 4 cups chickweed
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
Blanch half of the chickweed (2 cups) for about five (5) seconds in boiling water, and then shock in an ice bath. Reserve.
Melt butter in a large pot, sweat leeks and parsnips until leeks are translucent. Cover with vegetable stock and apples. Simmer until parsnips are tender, about 15 minutes.
Take about 1/2 of the mixture out of pot and blend in blender with blanched chickweed until smooth.
Return to pot, add cream (or milk) and nutmeg. Add rest of chickweed and take off heat when it wilts. Season with salt and pepper and serve.